Lead Character Technical Animator
About the Company
Warner Bros. Discovery, a premier global media and entertainment company, offers audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, streaming and gaming. The new company combines WarnerMedia's premium entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery's leading non-fiction and international entertainment and sports businesses.
About WB Games Montréal
WB Games Montréal is a division of Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment (WBIE). Founded in 2010, we are 300+ creative team members strong who join forces every day to create unforgettable AAA experiences across all platforms.
The Production Team at WB Games Montreal is proud to offer permanent flexibility to its employees. Remote working is always allowed. Key members of our production team may be required to attend in person critical meetings occasionally. This policy applies to anyone with legal permission to work in Canada and located in Canada only.
WB Games Montréal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), seeks a Lead Character Technical Animator.
In this role, you will supervise and mentor a team of Technical Animators of all levels of seniority. You will be responsible to offer leadership, support, sharing and propagate expertise on all aspects of Technical Animation from visual benchmarking to best practices.
You will be working closely with the Character Technical Director to ensure the studio continues to create high quality characters within an efficient pipeline. You will be expected to act as a liaison between Technical Animation and all other departments, for this strong communication skills are essential. You will be involved in evaluating new character technologies and help build pipelines/workflows to push our characters even further.
- Work closely with the Character Technical Director and Animation team to define, create and maintain the animation pipeline.
- Lead, support, mentor technical animators ensuring they have everything they need to grow their skills and complete their tasks.
- Create benchmarks assets for deformation and facial rigging.
- Create or modify specific tools and/or scripts to improve the speed and efficiency of the Character and Animation teams.
- Work with production coordinator to create and maintain rigging production schedule.
- Ensure the characters deformations are maintained throughout the production including assets from outsourcers.
- Be the first line of defense on the content side when a technical problem arises.
- 5+ years of experience in a technical character animator position.
- Must have worked on at least two AAA titles or equivalent experience in Film/VFX.
- 2D/3D art or Animation collegial degree or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent leadership skills. Able to communicate effectively verbally and visually. Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- Proficient with standard industry tools like Unreal Engine, Maya, MotionBuilder.
- Knowledge of Houdini is a plus.
- Strong understanding of methods of optimizing game art and animation assets for game engines.
- Strong understanding of Python/Mel or similar systems required. C++ is a plus.
- Basic knowledge in animation, artistic eye.
- Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and development processes.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Passion for making great games, with an awareness of current major games and industry trends.
- Portfolio/website demonstrating your art skills, design sensibilities, and attention to detail.