Senior Character Technical Animator
About the Company
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
About WB Games Montréal
WB Games Montréal is a division of Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment (WBIE). Founded in 2010, we are 300+ creative team members strong who join forces every day to create unforgettable AAA experiences across all platforms.
The Production Team at WB Games Montreal is proud to offer permanent flexibility to its employees. Remote working is allowed, even when our offices will reopen. This policy applies to anyone with legal permission to work in Canada and located on Canada only.
WB Games Montréal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), seeks a Senior Character Technical Animator. In this role, you will be responsible for all technical animation and rigging issues related to a project. This can include facial rigging, visual R&D, performance monitoring, standard setting, as well as process and pipeline issues.
You will also act as liaison between our programming and content creation teams. You will help us to evaluate new technology, supervise, and monitor the development of our pipelines and workflow and work with all disciplines to ensure that the animation team has the tools required to maintain optimum delivery of outstanding assets within the technical limitations, and take ownership of solving technical problems as required.
- Work closely with the Technical Animation Lead and Animation team to define, create and maintain the animation pipeline.
- Create and generate the rigs of character, weapons and complex objects in Maya.
- Ensure the skinning of the characters and their different equipment.
- Create or modify specific tools and/or scripts to improve the speed and efficiency of the Animation team.
- Support and improve the process of integrating Maya/Motionbuilder into the game engine.
- Be the first line of defense on the content side when a technical problem arises.
- 5+ years of experience in a technical position. Must have shipped at least two AAA titles or equivalent experience in Film/VFX.
- Excellent teamwork skills. Able to communicate effectively verbally and visually. Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- Proficient with standard industry tools like Unreal Engine, 3ds Max, Maya, Motion Builder.
- Strong understanding of methods of optimizing game art assets for game engines.
- Strong understanding of MEL/Python or similar systems required. C++ is a plus.
- Basic knowledge in animation, artistic eye.
- Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and development processes.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Passion for making great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- 2D/3D art degree, architecture degree or equivalent, with excellent critique and vocabulary skills. BFA or equivalent preferred.
- Portfolio/website demonstrating your art skills, design sensibilities, and attention to detail.